Ageing gracefully starts with a healthy mindset and clarity on what you’d like to achieve for your body and health. Here are some tips to help you commit:
- Set small, achievable health-promoting goals.
- Prepare what you need. For example, have your running shoes or yoga mat ready; leave your prescription and supplements on the bench; allocate yourself time for you.
- Visualise achieving your goals, mentally repeating the process in your mind. You can do this!
- Then…just do it! Remember, new goals take time to become habits; so if you are concerned you might slip, don’t stress – just start again the next day. Practice makes perfect!
The Secret to Healthy Ageing
Ageing is a beautiful part of life and when it comes to healthy ageing, antioxidants are your body’s secret weapon to preventing disease and keeping you healthier. The following may be considered the Rolls Royce of healthy ageing nutrients:
–Resveratrol: Found in red grapes, blueberries and the herb polygonum, this effective antioxidant helps with longevity by protecting your cells from free radical damage.
–Curcumin: The main constituent of turmeric has been used traditionally for skin and wound healing; and may also aid in chronic disease prevention due to its valuable antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
–Quercetin: This potent bioflavonoid may help support the integrity of blood vessels and help keep your cardiovascular system healthier.
-Talk to your Practitioner about healthy ageing and the best herbs and phytonutrients to help you increase your antioxidant status.
1. Enjoy two serves of fresh fruits and at least three cups of colourful vegetables daily – to give you the nutrients that will promote a healthy body.
2. Include protein-rich foods with every meal and snack – to aid tissue repair and help stabilise your energy levels.
3. Include healthy oils, nuts and seeds in your diet – to support healthy memory and glowing skin.
4. Drink a minimum of eight glasses of water daily and avoid excessive alcohol, as hydration is essential for healthy skin as well as optimal brain function.
5. Enjoy a ‘freedom meal’ once a week. Allowing for an occasional treat helps create a balanced lifestyle.