Anxiety be Getting the Better of you?
The best things in life are free – well almost! Incorporate as many of the following resilience-building strategies as you can each day. These tips will lead to better overall wellbeing as well as helping you to manage stress and anxiety:
- Connect with friends – keeping in touch with people maintains your support network
- Exercise (ideally outdoors) – regular exercise has been shown to improve mood and reduce feelings of stress
- Choose healthy foods – consume protein at each meal and avoid refined and sugary foods. This can help balance your blood sugar levels, reducing mood imbalances and lessening anxiety
- Avoid caffeine – stimulants such as caffeine can exacerbate anxiety
- Breathe! – if you start to feel panicky or anxious, focus on taking some slow, purposeful, deep breaths, helping you return to a state of calm. Meditation can also help to quieten your mind and instil calm.
Breaking the Cycle
Herbal medicine can be used to help reduce anxiety and nervousness; improving your emotional resilience:
– Passion flower: decreases that sense of ‘restlessness’ and can help settle nervous stomachs. It increases the calming neutrotransmitters (brain chemicals), such as GABA; soothing a racing mind, decreasing tension and irritability.
– Zizyphus: Widely used in Chinese herbal formulas for its anxiolytic (anxiety reducing) properties; zizyphus is considered cooling, calming and another herb thats effective for restlessness.
– Siberian Milkwort: A calming herb that is often included in formulas for sensitive people who find themselves feeling teary and weepy when they are stressed or anxious.
– Bupleurum: useful for those experiencing stress and unrest due to excessive
Daily Strategies to Support Yourself
– Connect with friends: keeping in touch with people maintains your support network
– Exercise (ideally outdoors)- regular exercise has been shown to improve mood and reduce feelings of stress
– Choose healthy foods- consume protein at each meal and avoid refined and sugary foods. This can help balance your blood sugar levels, reducing mood imbalances and lessening anxiety.
– Avoid caffeine- Stimulants such as caffeine can exacerbate anxiety